Breast Augmentation for a New You
The Breast Enlargement Experience
The immediate goal of surgery is to enlarge the breasts and improve their shape. While achieving this, patients experience an improved body image & self-esteem and the freedom to wear clothes they had avoided in the past. Here at the Parker Center, we have noted a patient satisfaction rate after surgery of over 95%.
There are a myriad of breast implant choices to personalize your new look. We’ll help you understand all of the options during your consultation. Dr. Parker is very experienced at placing both saline and silicone gel breast implants. The new generation of silicone gel implants are preferred by most women for their softer and more natural feel.
Picking the Right Implant Size & Shape
Your physical characteristics will often dictate which implant shape is best for you. In terms of size, the breast increases approximately one cup size for each 200cc of implant. Most commonly, implants ranging in size from 200 to 400cc are used.
Size selection varies with patient desire, chest size and the amount of breast tissue present. Don’t want anyone to know you have implants? Dr. Parker specializes in natural-appearing augmentations.
A beautiful breast augmentation isn’t just about size—the shape of the implant is key. We will help you see which size and shape of implant meets your goals with a Sizing and Shaping Session. This part of your consultation allows you to “try on a look” and get a better idea of your appearance after breast augmentation surgery.
Breast implants are inserted through small incisions which usually become inconspicuous after they heal. Incisions can be placed through an incision under the breast, around the lower half of the areola, or through the armpit. To learn which option is best for you, we’ll consider a number of factors:
- The placement you feel you’ll be least likely to notice
- Which incision will best allow Dr. Parker to achieve your goals
- If you plan to breastfeed, which incision is least likely to hamper breastfeeding
Currently, implants are placed in one of three locations:
- Beneath the breast tissue and in front of the pectoralis major muscle. This is called subglandular or retromammary augmentation.
- Beneath both the breast tissue and pectoralis major muscle. This is called partial submuscular or partial subpectoral augmentation.
- Partially behind both the pectoralis major muscle and the breast tissue. This is called dual plane augmentation.
While Dr. Parker has performed all of these techniques, he most often uses the dual plane technique for the following reasons:
- This optimizes the implant-soft tissue interface by adjusting the relationship between the breast tissue and pectoralis major muscle.
- Patients benefit from the advantages of both subglandular and partial submuscular augmentation.
- By releasing the attachments of the overlying breast tissue to the pectoralis major muscle to varying degrees, based on an individual patient’s anatomy, Dr. Parker can customize the best-looking breast for the patient.
- Dr. Parker believes the dual plane technique results in more natural-looking breasts that are less likely to develop capsular contracture (harden postoperatively) and allow a radiologist to see breast tissue more easily on mammograms.
In well-trained, experienced hands, breast augmentation is a straightforward outpatient surgical procedure. The surgery is performed under general anesthesia, administered by one of our board certified anesthesiologists, in our fully certified onsite ambulatory surgical center (see Patient Safety). Breast augmentation may be combined with other procedures, such as a tummy tuck or liposuction.
Our Signature Rapid Recovery Program
Our patients lead active lives and are anxious to return to their daily routine as soon as possible after breast augmentation. Dr. Parker’s surgical techniques, as well as our anesthesia and medication protocols, are tailored with this in mind. We have also developed a unique Rapid Recovery program to accelerate our patients’ recovery process. While everyone heals differently, most of our patients are back to work within the first week after breast augmentation.
“I wanted to express how happy I am with my surgery. I was hesitant about having the surgery, but you put me at ease. It is wonderful dealing with such a great doctor and your staff. Thank you again for giving me back my confidence 100%.” —Breast Augmentation Paramus Patient
We are delighted by our patients’ comments after they return for their follow up visits. They tell us that their recovery was quick, easy and often so very different from their friends who have undergone breast augmentation elsewhere. Showering and light activities are permitted the day after surgery. All sutures dissolve and do not have to be removed. Work can usually be resumed in several days. During both your consultation with Dr. Parker and in your pre-op education visit with our Nurse Educator, your anticipated recovery will be discussed in detail.
An Important Advancement: The Keller Funnel
The Keller Funnel helps with the insertion of silicone implants, making it possible to use the smallest possible incision while achieving proper implant placement. Dr. Parker is very experienced in its use.
Scheduling Your Consultation
There is a lot of information available on breast augmentation, and we want to help you sort it out. We are committed to patient education at the Parker Center, having found it to be a major contributor to the best surgical experience and results for our patients.
Our consultations are free, comprehensive, and last approximately one hour. During this time you will:
- Discuss with Dr. Parker your desires and expectations for breast augmentation
- Learn about implant shapes and feel real silicone gel and saline implants
- Review incision and implant placement options
- Hear all about the surgical procedure and recovery
- Enjoy a Sizing and Shaping Session to determine your implant size and shape
- Review additional before & after photos of Dr. Parker’s patients
- Be given the opportunity to speak with Dr. Parker’s patients
- Receive a specific written quote detailing all costs for breast augmentation
We believe the best plastic surgery consultations involve a two way conversation. You, as the patient, share exactly what you hope to achieve and we describe our approach to help you get there. We want to give you time to become comfortable with Dr. Parker and our staff. This combination of honest conversation and bonding between patient & surgeon important for a successful outcome.