Discover Liposuction for Men
- What is Liposuction?
- How Does Liposuction Work?
- Who is a Good Candidate for Liposuction?
- What is the best option for You?
- What does Male Liposuction Surgery Involve?
- What does recovery involve after male liposuction?
- What kind of results are obtained after liposuction for men?
- Additional Resources
Liposuction, also known as liposculpture, suction lipectomy or suction assisted lipectomy, has consistently been one of the most common cosmetic procedures performed in the United States. According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, 41,642 men had some form of liposuction in 2012, making it the most popular cosmetic surgery procedure for men for since 1999. In total, 313,011 men and women had liposuction last year.
Liposuction is a surgical procedure during which body fat is removed through tiny incisions with small suction tubes, called cannulae. It allows surgeons like Dr. Parker to eliminate unwanted fat from areas of the body, sculpting a permanently improved shape and contour to these areas.
The goal of liposuction is to remove targeted areas of diet- and exercise-resistant fat in order to contour the body. In men, it is commonly used to treat the neck, breast, abdomen, and flanks. Liposuction is equally effective in men and women.
Liposuction is not a method of weight control or a treatment for obesity. It is a complement to diet and exercise, not a substitute for them.
Liposuction works wonders for many patients. The following facts explain why it works:
- We are all born with a certain number of fat cells, which form our subcutaneous tissue layer located between our skin and underlying muscles.
- Genetics, hormones and weight changes cause localized areas of fat deposits to develop; in men, they are most common in the neck, breasts, abdomen and flanks.
- When you gain or lose weight, the size of your fat cells increase and decrease, but the absolute number of those cells remains constant.
- Liposuction is a method of body contouring whereby surgeons like Dr. Parker remove a certain number of fat cells from specific areas to improve body shape and contour.
- If you gain weight after liposuction, the fat will be deposited more evenly throughout the body; it does not selectively relocate to the areas that underwent liposuction. For this reason, you can think of liposuction as a “body re-proportioning procedure.”
The best candidates for liposuction are men close to their realistic, or ideal, body weight with localized fat deposits and good skin tone. Liposuction can also provide an incentive for weight loss if you’re slightly or moderately overweight.
During your initial consultation, Dr. Parker will examine your areas of concern, evaluate your skin tone and discuss treatment options with you. If your skin has become loose, removal of excess skin with or without liposuction is likely more appropriate than liposuction alone.
- Men with poor skin tone of the neck will get a better result with a neck lift versus liposuction of the neck
35 year old who requested improved neck contour had good skin tone and therefore was able to undergo liposuction of his neck
68 year old who requested rejuvenation of his face and neck. Skin laxity required a neck lift to optimize his contour.
- Men with loose abdominal skin and stretch marks would get a better result with an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)
34 year old following 100 lb. weight loss, requested abdominal contouring. Marked skin laxity necessitated abdominoplasty in addition to liposuction.
During your initial consultation, Dr. Parker will discuss treatment options with you. In addition, you will be shown many before and after pictures of liposuction patients and undergo computer imaging to see what you should look like following liposuction. Our surgical results after liposuction have a very high correlation with what you are shown in your computer imaging session.
Computer Imaging for Neck Contouring Patient
Actual Results for Neck Contouring Patient
38 year old, referred by a friend to Dr. Parker, requested reduction of the fullness of his neck. Computer imaging helped the patient see what results he might expect from liposuction. He is happy with the improved contour of his neck.
Male liposuction in New Jersey is performed in our on-site, fully-certified ambulatory surgical facility, Surgiplex. Male patients are made comfortable with monitored intravenous sedation or general anesthesia. A “super wet technique” is utilized whereby a dilute local anesthetic solution is injected into the involved tissues to minimize bruising and swelling. Two or more tiny access incisions are used to insert the liposuction cannulae for each area being treated. This technique, called “cross hatching” (like mowing a lawn in two directions), promotes a smooth, natural-appearing contour.
Dr. Parker will most often use the VASER ultrasonic liposuction system in male patients to optimize both atraumatic fat removal and hasten recovery. A solid VASER ultrasonic probe is used to melt the fat in the areas being treated. The fat is then evacuated with special cannulae, allowing Dr. Parker to sculpt the desired contour.
More important than using the VASER system is Dr. Parker’s extensive training, experience, and judgment in performing many liposuction procedures. This allows him to achieve youthful contours and excellent results. The tiny access incisions are closed with dissolvable sutures. The resulting scars are virtually unnoticeable. Patients are fitted with a snug-fitting garment that provides support, promotes skin contraction, and optimizes final contour.
Liposuction lasts from 45 minutes to several hours, depending on the number of areas undergoing treatment. Patients are discharged within one to two hours after surgery. There is more soreness than pain after liposuction. Patients usually describe it like “overdoing it at the gym.” The compression garment can be removed the day following surgery to shower. These garments are typically worn for several weeks. Patients can return to normal activities, including work, within several days of surgery. Exercise begins in one to two weeks.
Liposuction can change your life in many ways. Our patients tell us after surgery that they feel more athletic and younger. In addition, they observe the following changes:
- They look and feel better physically
- They state they are motivated to lead healthier lives
- They feel more self confident with improved self esteem
- They think they are more successful at work
- They say women find them more attractive
- They find their interpersonal relationships and sex lives are strikingly enhanced
It is truly a life-altering procedure.
Watch and hear stories from real New Jersey body surgery patients
"Everyone at the Parker Center is very good, very professional. Dr. Parker is very easy to talk to; it was just like talking to another guy." - Gynecomastia Treatment Patient
See Financing Options at the Parker Center
Liposuction Blog Posts
Paul M. Parker, M.D. · Parker Center for Plastic Surgery · Paramus NJ