New Jersey Abdominoplasty for Men
As we grow older, busy schedules and slower metabolism rates can cause weight gain around the midsection. This can lead to a protruding waistline that is difficult to combat with diet and exercise alone. If this sounds like you, an abdominoplasty may be the best solution.
Your goals with abdominoplasty
While the basic goal of an abdominoplasty is to flatten the abdomen, the extent of the procedure will vary depending on the severity of your condition. If you have good skin and muscle tone, a less involved procedure, such as liposuction or CoolSculpting, may achieve the results you desire.
If you have excess, sagging skin or a weakened abdominal wall, a mini or full tummy tuck procedure may be necessary. Dr. Parker will help you weight your optoins based on his evaluation of your current condition and your personal goals.
Besides removal of excess fat, it can include:
- Removal of excess skin
- Smoothing of stretch marks
- Tightening of loose abdominal muscles or “abs”
Liposuction alone is used for patients who have excess fat in the abdominal region, but also have good skin elasticity and muscle tone. Liposuction is performed with local anesthesia and intravenous sedation, and requires Dr. Parker to make three tiny incisions: two in the pubic hair area and one inside the navel. It takes about one to two hours to complete the procedure.
Patients who undergo a liposuction recover quickly.
- The abdomen may be somewhat sore for the first 3 to 4 days
- You will need to wear an abdominal binder
- You should be able to move about on the day of surgery
- You can usually return to full activities within a week
- Exercise may begin in 2 weeks
If you have muscle laxity and limited amounts of extra skin in the lower abdomen you could be a good candidate for mini abdominoplasty.
Mini abdominoplasty performed with local anesthesia and intravenous sedation, and surgery time ranges from 1 to 2 hours. Dr. Parker will make a low horizontal incision, just above the pubic bone. He will remove fat and excess skin and tighten the underlying muscles. You can be discharged within one hour after surgery to continue your recovery at home.
- You’ll need to wear an abdominal binder to minimize swelling & keep the area tight
- There is slightly more pain compared to liposuction alone because of the muscle-tightening component
- Pain medication can be used to minimize discomfort
- The sutures will dissolve on their own
- Regular activity can be resumed after 2 weeks
A complete abdominoplasty allows for maximum removal of excess skin and fat, and for tightening of the lax “abs” along their entire length. This procedure option is common for men following massive weight loss.
Complete abdominoplasty is the most uncomfortable of the three methods due to the extent of muscle tightening, but the rewards of a flatter, firmer abdomen, such as fitting into clothing more comfortably and an enhanced self-confidence, are worth the recovery for many men.
Complete abdominoplasty performed under general anesthesia and takes 2½ to 3½ hours. The main incision is similar to that for a mini abdominoplasty, but is longer in that the outer ends curve up to the hip bones. This incision is designed so that it is hidden by swimwear. A second small incision is also made encircling the navel. These incisions are used to remove the fat and skin and tighten the rectus abdominus muscles
- Patients are monitored overnight in our facility by one of our highly trained registered nurses.
- An abdominal binder is applied several days after surgery and worn for approximately two weeks.
- Though the scars are permanent, they usually fade within the first year of surgery.
- The pain during recovery can be relieved by our pain management protocol. The addition of a pain pump, which slowly infuses local anesthesia into the operative area for three days, significantly reduces pain.
- You can begin walking the day after surgery and can resume normal activities within 7 to 10 days.
- Light exercise can often begin at two weeks and return to full exercise at six weeks.
Male tummy tuck procedures can also be combined with liposuction of flanks, back and extremities, body lifts or gynecomastia treatment. The results of these procedures are spectacular for many people, as they greatly improve overall appearance and self-esteem. Our patients have told us time and time again that overall results are well worth it.