Summer break will be here before you know it—and if you’re dreading the yearly struggle of finding ways to keep your kids entertained, read on! We’ve put together some of our favorite kid-friendly activities in and around Paramus to help you beat the heat and banish boredom.
1. Cool off & splash around
Swimming is a quintessential summer activity. And if the weather is muggy, it’s one of the best ways to stay cool while being active. Lucky for us, our area boasts a number of fantastic water parks. Here are a few we love:
- Mountain Creek Resort has something for everyone. From thrilling slides into a crystal blue pool to calmer features for little ones, everyone in the family will be entertained.
- Mini golf, lakeside boating, waterslides, and more can be found at Tomahawk Lake Waterpark. A friendly reminder before heading out: kids must be 48” tall to ride the slides and they only accept cash.
- With a massive interactive pool loaded with splash detonators, water blasters, and a water tower that will soak everyone, the Splashplex is a must-visit.. BONUS: they have cabanas available to rent where you can get a little R&R while your kids exhaust themselves.
2. Escape the rain
Nothing ruins a summer day like rain, but there are still plenty of fun things to do.
- What lives in the Hudson River? Find out at the Liberty Science Center. Create dams and levees, see what animals thrive in the river, conduct your own experiments, and more. If you want to encourage curiosity and imagination, this is the perfect rainy day activity.
- Bumper cars, laser tag, and games galore are at your disposal at The Funplex. This indoor amusement park is perfect way to burn off energy even during the worst weather.
3. Pamper the whole family!
Spa days are not just for adults. If you have a little princess who would love a day of pampering, this kid-friendly spa is the place to be! Head to Glitter Glam, whose motto is “a little sparkle goes a long way.”
4. Enjoy the warm weather
After a dreary winter, it feels great to get outside and take in everything the area has to offer.
- Pack up your little equestrians and plan a day of horseback riding with Elite Equine Group. Your kids will love getting up close and personal with the friendly horses and riding through the gorgeous landscape.
- Hike a scenic trail, take a guided paddle down a stunning river, or give back by volunteering with Hackensack Riverkeeper. Boredom will disappear and the family will learn about the great outdoors and a great organization.
5. Take advantage of free activities
You don’t have to break the bank to have an exciting summer.
- Check out one of Bergen County’s museums that feature everything from fine art and history to science, technology, and aviation.
- Pack a simple lunch and spend the afternoon picnicking and playing at one of these awesome parks in Northern New Jersey.
- Escape into imaginary worlds (and get a break from the heat!) through the great selection of books at the Paramus Public Library. Don’t forget to peek at their calendar of events to plan around any neat exhibits or programs.
Wherever you find yourself and whatever activities end up making your summer bucket list, we hope you have a fantastic time!
Leave a Reply