Plastic Surgery for Men, New Jersey – Wrinkle Treatment Options
Dull, scaling, blotchy skin with wrinkles can make you look older than you feel or really are. Along with the skin care staff at our Beaura Spa, we aim to:
- Brighten your complexion
- Smooth your skin
- Revitalize your face
- Equalize your skin tone
- Improve fine wrinkles
According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, there were 808,011 non-surgical cosmetic procedures performed on men across the country in 2012, of which 467,583 (57.9%) were injectable procedures.
Maintaining healthy skin requires ongoing attention. The first step is a thorough skin evaluation to identify special problems. We specifically look for:
- Different types of wrinkles
- Skin roughness
- Loss of skin vitality
- Large pores
- Crepe-paper wrinkles are fine wrinkles usually found on the cheeks due to sun exposure.
- Dynamic wrinkles (also known as “smile lines” or “frown lines”) result from repeated facial expressions that form creases and wrinkles over time. They are narrow depressions in the skin most commonly seen:
- On the forehead
- Between the eyebrows
- Around the corners of the eyes
- Around the lips
- Nasolabial folds are skin fold wrinkles from the corner of the nose to the corner of the mouth, and occur as the cheeks sag with aging.
- Marionette lines are skin fold wrinkles from the corner of the mouth downward.
Fine Lines and Skin Texture
- Fine lines and textural problems of the skin are addressed non-surgically
- Improvement in the quality of skin texture and tone can be initiated by the use of various creams prescribed by our skin care team at our Beaura Spa
- Acid peels, intense pulse light (IPL), and microdermabrasion can augment this initial treatment and help your skin look radiant and youthful
- Crepe-paper wrinkles are significantly improved by physician-supervised acid peels
- Dynamic wrinkles of the lips are most effectively treated by resurfacing the area with microdermabrasion or laser and chemical peels.
- Skin fold wrinkles such as nasolabial folds and marionette lines are best treated with a facelift. It can tighten facial skin, improve heavy skin folds, and soften associated wrinkles.
According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, 342,048 men had BOTOX® or Dysport™ injections in 2012, making botulinum toxin type A the most popular non-surgical procedure in the country for men.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic is a purified protein injected into the wrinkle lines that “relaxes” the underlying muscles causing the wrinkles to soften or disappear
- It’s effective in treating dynamic wrinkles on the forehead, between the brows, and in the crow’s feet around the eyes
- BOTOX® Cosmetic injections take 5 to 10 minutes to perform and become effective within 24 to 48 hours
- They will usually last three to six months and seem to last longer and longer with repeated injections
Fillers raise skin fold wrinkles to the level of the surrounding skin, making them less noticeable and creating a glowing appearance.
Collagen has been the “gold standard” filler substance for many years. It requires skin testing for allergies and loses its effectiveness within several months, however.
Restylane® is composed of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance in the body.
- Restylane® injections into folds or wrinkles take about 10 to 15 minutes, and are performed after the application of a topical anesthetic and ice
- No skin testing is required
- The results usually last six months before a repeat injection is required
Radiesse® (hydroxyappatite) is a synthetically derived compound that has been used in Europe as a filler for a number of years.
- It is injected into folds and wrinkles like Restylane®
- Our colleagues in Europe suggest it lasts two to three years before requiring a repeat injection
- Skin testing is not required
- It leaves you with smoother, tighter looking skin
Fat injections were used more frequently as a filler before the arrival of Restylane® and Radiesse®. Now they’re used when the wrinkles or folds require more volume than a commercially available filler can give.
- Fat injections require harvesting or removal of fat from a donor site on your body
- That fat is then purified
- It’s then injected into the area to be corrected
Common treatment sites for fat injections include:
- The nasolabial folds
- Marionette lines
- The backs of aging hands to replace lost volume (known as a “hand lift”)
- The area beneath depressed scars, to make them smoother and less noticeable
If you are unhappy with your wrinkles, call the Parker Center for Plastic Surgery today. We will analyze your skin needs and recommend the best treatment options for you. These treatments are very safe and quick, and they can make you appear years younger. Wrinkle Treatment procedures are often combined with other face surgeries.
According to statistics from the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, 125,535 men had fillers injected in 2012. An additional 4,859 had autologous fat injections.
Latest Blog Posts
Paul M. Parker, M.D. · Parker Center for Plastic Surgery · Paramus NJ